Thomson Foundation is offering six rising stars the chance to connect with six of the best journalists in the industry as part of the prestigious Young Journalist Award 2022.
This year’s award will be extra special for another reason, too. It will be the first time in two years that the three finalists will be able to attend the glittering ceremony in London in person. The pandemic of the past two years has meant finalists could only attend virtually.
- To mark six decades of the foundation, the three finalists as well as the next three highest in the shortlist will have the opportunity to be mentored for six months by six established journalists from the alumni.
- Now in its 10th year, the Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award in partnership with the UK Foreign Press Association (FPA) is open to journalists aged 30 or under from countries with a Gross National Income (GNI) per capita of less than $20,000.
- Those who meet the criteria are welcome to submit a portfolio of three published pieces of work produced in the 12 months preceding the deadline for submissions, which is 12 August, 2022.
- They can be in any medium — print, audio, video or multimedia.
- The three Young Journalist Award finalists will automatically qualify for the mentorship programme.
- The additional three will be selected from the shortlist of 12 to join them as part of our ongoing investment into ethical, independent and trusted journalism.
- If you are one of the selected six, you’ll be provided with a unique package of support and paired with an established journalist matched to your region from the extensive alumni network.
- You’ll learn from them how their exclusives and investigations have changed the world, and how yours can too.
- In addition, all 12 journalists in the shortlist will be given space on the Thomson Foundation website and social media channels and receive a certificate from Thomson Foundation commending them on the high standard of their work.
- Deadline for entries: 12 August 2022
- Entries must be submitted by 23:59 UK time on the night of deadline day
- Long shortlist of 12 announcement: 28 September 2022, World News Day
- Shortlist of six announcement: w/c 3 October 2022
- Three finalists announcement: w/c 10 October 2022
- Young Journalist Award winner announcement: 28 November 2022, FPA Awards
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage of the Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award 2022. Application Deadline: 12 August, 2022.