Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari granted approval to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development to release 70,000 Metric Tons of assorted food items from the National Strategic Food Reserve stock following the lockdown across some states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and the resultant effect on the vulnerable population
Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development, Alhaji Muhammad Sabo Nanono has stated that of the 70,000 Metric tons, 5,000 Metric tons of Gari is readily available for immediate release while bagging of the food grains is on going for further urgent release through the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).
According to the Minister, the food items are being released from the National Strategic Food Reserve Silo Complexes as follows:
1. Minna Silo, Niger State – 10,000MTs of Maize and 2,500MTs of Gari
2. Lafia Silo, Nassarawa State- 5,000MTs of Millet and 1,500MTs of Gari.
3. Dustin-Ma Silo, Katsina State – 12,500MTs of Maize and 5,000MT of Sorghum.
4. Yola Silo, Adamawa State – 12,500MTs Maize and 5,000MTs of Sorghum
5. Gusau Silo, Zamfara State – 15,000MTs of Sorghum and
6. Ilesha Silo, Osun State – 1,000MTs of Gari.
The Minister promised that measures will be put in place by the Presidential Task Force to ensure that the food items get to the actual beneficiaries.