The Japanese Award for Most Innovative Development Project is a competitive grant program under the umbrella of the Global Development Awards Competition (GDAC), administered by GDN, funded under the Policy and Human Resources Development Fund (PHRD) trust fund managed by the World Bank, and generously supported by the Ministry of Finance, Government of Japan. The award program invites non-profit NGOs and CSOs to submit project proposals supporting (in particular) improved service delivery, and innovative approaches that may be scaled-up through a grant. The Award targets projects currently at the stage of implementation, and which have a high potential for impact targeting exceptionally marginalized and disadvantaged groups located in developing countries – per the World Bank’s recognition as low and middle income countries.
The winning projects will receive grants worth US$ 120,000. The awards will be given to organizations whose projects embody an innovative approach to an important development need and hold the greatest promise for:
- responding directly to the needs of the poorest and most vulnerable, underserved groups to improve their lives aiming at rapid results for improved livelihood;
- supporting initiatives that lead to developing sustainable outcomes through the scaling-up of the project.
The two first prize winners will receive a grant of US$ 50,000 each. The second prize will receive a grant of US$ 20,000. Additionally, awardees will be paired with a Technical Advisor throughout the entire implementation of the grant.
Finalists will be invited to join a communications training in preparation of a pitch of their project in front of a high-level Jury, which will decide which research proposal to award, at a physical event in March/April 2023 (details to be defined) and projects are expected to start in May 2023.
- Deadline for submissions: 14 November 2022
- Announcement of Eligibility screening results: 21 November 2022
- Announcement of Desk review results (1st shortlisted applications): 15 December 2022
- Announcement of Business review results (2nd shortlisted applications): 30 December 2022
- Site visits to 2nd shortlisted applications: 2 January until 27 January 2023
- Announcement of finalists: 17 February 2023
- Announcement of winners: March/April 2023
Finalists are expected to be available for the Communications Training and the physical event for the presentation of their projects to the jury in March/April. The date will be announced in late 2022
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage of the Japanese Award for Most Innovative Development Project 2022. Application Deadline: 14 November 2022