The McDonald Fellowship enables young researchers from emerging countries to work in a research institution outside of their own country. Following the award, we expect applicants will be able to use the newly developed expertise and networks, continuing to undertake MS research and/or patient care in emerging countries.
The fellowship consists of a two-year grant, around £30,000 GBP per year, to cover travel and living costs, and an additional contribution of £2,000 GBP per year to the host institution. We expect that part of the second-year grant to the host institution will be used to cover the candidate’s expenses to attend the annual congress of ECTRIMS, the European Committee for Treatment and Research in MS.
One fellowship is awarded in partnership with ECTRIMS and is known as the MSIF-ECTRIMS McDonald Fellowship.
Another fellowship is awarded in partnership with MSIF’s member, ARSEP, The Fondation pour l’Aide à la Recherche sur la Sclérose En Plaques. This is known as the MSIF-ARSEP McDonald Fellowship.
- Be under 35 at the time of application
- Be educated to post graduate level in an area relevant to multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Be citizens of a low- or middle-income country (all countries with a low, lower middle or upper middle income as defined by the World Bank)
- Focus their research in an area relevant to MS
Candidates must also be in one of the following situations:
- Working or studying in a low- or middle-income country (all countries with a low, lower middle or upper middle income as defined by the World Bank) at the time of nomination
- Working or studying in another country on a project which started within the six months prior to nomination
- Studying in another country on a project supported by an MS International Federation grant
Candidates are expected to return to their own countries at the end of the study period where they will contribute to advancing care and research in MS.
The fellowship may also be used as a supplement for work related to MS by a candidate who has been accepted for training in a recognised institute (within the six months prior to nomination) but who doesn’t have enough money to cover the total cost.
How to apply:
- Complete all sections of the online application form
- The Host needs to provide a supporting statement at the end of the application
- Add names and contact details of 3 referees, including the applicant’s current supervisor or employer
For More Information: