Application Deadline: 14 March 2021.
UN Women—together with the European Commission, Belgium, France, Mexico, as well as in partnership with Cartooning for Peace—is organizing a global comic and cartoon competition (the UNWomen Comic and Cartoon Competition 2021) to mark the 25th anniversary of the groundbreaking Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, which set out how to remove the systemic barriers that hold women back from equal participation in all areas of life. The Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action is a visionary agenda for the empowerment of women and girls, everywhere.
To commemorate this anniversary, UN Women has launched the multigenerational campaign, “Generation Equality: Realizing women’s rights for an equal future”, and will be convening a global gathering for gender equality, the Generation Equality Forum, co-chaired by the Governments of France and Mexico, with the leadership and partnership of civil society. The Forum will kick-off in Mexico City at the end of March 2021 and culminate in Paris, France, in early June 2021.
As a global public conversation for urgent action and accountability for gender equality, the Forum will celebrate the power of women’s rights activism, feminist solidarity, and youth leadership to achieve transformative change.
- You are between 18 and 28 years old.
- You believe in gender equality and realizing women’s rights for an equal future.
- You want to express your vision of a gender-equal generation in a drawing.
- Unleash the power of your creativity and PICTURE IT!
Selection of winners
The first-, second-, and third-prize winners of the competition will get the chance to attend the virtual opening of the Forum in Paris, and will be among the changemakers of this generation, including civil society, international organizations, governments, business, cities, parliaments, trade unions, media, and more! In addition, an exhibition with the cartoons from all finalists will take place during the Generation Equality Forum in Paris (in situ/virtual, depending on the situation).
The prizes will be:
- First Prize: EUR 1200
- Second Prize: EUR 750
- Third Prize: EUR 500
In addition, the winners will have their work featured on several platforms, such as the website of Cartooning for Peace, but also on websites of other official partners and their respective social media channels.
In cooperation with Cartooning for Peace, professional and renowned comic artists from different corners of the world have been identified as members of the jury. Finalists will be selected by a jury composed of expert comic artists and high-level representatives of the organizing partners, including:
- Adène (Anne Derenne), comic artist and member of Cartooning for Peace, France
- Boligán, comic artist and member of Cartooning for Peace, Mexico
- Alexander De Croo, Prime Minister of Belgium
- Koen Doens, Director-General, Directorate General for International Partnerships, European Commission
- Mauricio Escanero Figueroa, Head of the Mission of Mexico to the European Union and Ambassador to the Kingdom of Belgium and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- Hélène Farnaud-Defromont, Ambassador of France to Belgium
- Chamathya Fernando, Youth Activist and member of the Generation Equality Youth Task Force
- Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, UN Women Executive Director
- Alaa Satir, comic artist and member of Cartooning for Peace, Sudan
How to submit your drawing
We invite you to picture your vision of what a gender equal generation looks like.
Get familiar with the Beijing Conference and its outcome document, the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, and seek inspiration for your drawing in the “12 critical areas of concern”. Please note that your comic or cartoon must be without words.
Please consult the “Terms and conditions” for detailed information on the competition.
The submission deadline is 14 March 2021.
For More Information: