Have you thought about picking a business domain name? It’s something that’s often overlooked. So, is it actually that important? The answer is yes, and here’s why…
You might think that if your website is high-quality, the domain itself doesn’t really matter. But this isn’t entirely true. Your domain name is actually a key part of the website itself.
In fact, having a domain name that doesn’t work for your business could be a big mistake.
Having the right domain name is important because:
- You create a great first impression. It’s the first thing visitors will see, so it can be the difference between keeping a customer and losing them to a competitor.
- It can boost your SEO ranking. Having relevant keywords in your domain name affects where you appear on search engines.
- Your domain name is part of building a brand. It’s an opportunity to enhance brand recognition and increase your credibility with visitors to your website.
With this in mind, here are some tips to help you choose the perfect domain name:
1. Make your domain name unique
Creative domain names that reflect your brand will always be more effective than choosing something generic. Remember, you will need to share your domain name, and it’s often the first thing your visitors will see – so make sure it’s something memorable!
One common mistake companies make is to pick a domain name because it has the right keywords. Although keywords can be helpful, it’s best to avoid keyword stuffing and, instead, go for something that’s meaningful and in line with your branding.
Doing this will help you stand out from the competition. It can also make you more trustworthy.
You can make your domain name more unique by:
- Using a thesaurus to find unusual words that reflect your brand
- Creating catchy new words that haven’t been heard before
- Use a domain name generator like DomainWheel to find a brandable name
2. Don’t make it too complicated
Next, make sure your domain name isn’t overly complicated. It needs to be easy to type, pronounce, and spell. Your visitors need to be able to type in your domain name without struggling to spell it. Otherwise, they will get frustrated and avoid your website.
Additionally, people should be able to pronounce your domain name easily. This is essential for word-of-mouth marketing and also if you attend offline marketing events.
When you’re sharing your website with potential customers, both online and offline, the domain name needs to be as simple and memorable as possible.
This is also important when you’re sharing your domain name on other marketing material. For example, if you’re adding it to Instagram or another social platform, or if you’re adding it to your business cards when using a tool like BusinessCards.
3. Make sure it’s not already being used
Lastly, it’s absolutely essential that the domain name you pick isn’t already in use or trademarked. You should always do this before you move forward with your chosen name to avoid any legal issues and build a strong reputation with your customers.
You can check on social media sites to see if it’s been taken, type the web address into your web browser, or click here to see if there are any trademarks registered against a domain.
When you’re building an online brand, it’s a good idea to be consistent and use the same name for your domain as other platforms, including social networks. This builds credibility and familiarity. It also makes your brand easier to find on the web.
The domain name you choose can make a substantial difference to how well our website performs. So, it’s important to make sure you choose carefully and thoughtfully!.