Application Deadline: April 5 2022 at 23:59 GMT.
The GNI Innovation Challenge is a global program that empowers news organizations from around the world to demonstrate new thinking in digital journalism. The GNI Innovation Challenge in the Middle East, Turkey & Africa region focuses on innovation in any form.
- The Middle East, Turkey and Africa GNI Innovation Challenge is open to organizations of every size, including freelancers and sole traders, that aim to produce innovative, original journalism and whose projects focus on innovation towards creating a more sustainable and diverse news ecosystem.
- News organizations must be incorporated in the Middle East, Turkey & Africa region.
- Unincorporated organizations must be registered in the region or, if unregistered, have their principal place of business there.
All ideas are welcome but we require all projects to have clear indicators showing the potential impact of the project from a user perspective and/or from a business perspective. Selected projects will also need to be delivered within one year.
GNI encourage innovative projects – focused on, but not limited to – the areas below:
- Ways to increase reader engagement and/or reader revenue
- Developing and diversifying business models
- New methods of distribution
- Combating misinformation
- Increasing trust in journalism
- Reaching new audiences
- Improving the efficiency of workflows
- Exploring new technologies
- Google will fund up to $150,000 for selected projects. Out of the total project budget, Google will finance up to 70% while the remaining at least 30% must be provided by the applicant.
- The self-funded portion may include operational costs. Eligible expenses include personnel costs, engineering costs and the purchase or licensing of any equipment, tools, hardware, software and other assets or materials needed for the project.
- Marketing expenses should not exceed 20% of the total amount of Google funding requested. Editorial expenses are not part of the eligible costs and will not be covered. Funding may not be spent on general and overhead costs.
For More Information: