The benchmark index of the Nigerian Stock Exchange closed marginally lower by 0.01% to settle at 47,656.64 points as the market began the new month mixed but with a bearish slant. However, the index is still on course to post a weekly increase for the third time in a row. Gains in Tier-1 banking stocks ZENITHBANK (+3.88%), GTCO (+1.50%), and ACCESSCORP (+1.76%) countered declines in Telco heavyweight MTNN (-1.60%) to keep the market down. As a result, the market capitalization remained constant at $25.96 trillion and the year-to-date (YTD) return was 11.57%.
The value of the stock market was N25.9 trillion as of Thursday’s market close. The stock market has increased by 4904.2 basis points, or 11.56%, since the year’s beginning.
The Nigerian Exchange Limited (NGX) closed today’s trading session with a loss of N2 billion in market capitalization, as bears regain dominance on the local bourse.
With the value of transactions increasing by 115.63%%, analysis of today’s market activity revealed that trade turnover settled higher than it had the previous session. 3,073 transactions involving 172.90 million shares worth 2.84 billion pounds were completed.
With 49.80 million units moved, FCMB (-4.18%) dominated the volume chart, while MTNN (-1.60%) won the value chart with transactions totaling 891.98 million.
Market breadth ended in the green at 1.22:1, with more rising issues than descending ones. Ten (10) other players were trailed on the leader’s table by UPDCREIT (+9.09%), while eight (8) players were ahead of HONYFLOUR (-7.89%) on the laggard’s log.
Summary :Market Indices
- NGX ASI: 47,656.64 points
- Previous ASI: 47,660.04 points
- Percentage Day Change: 0.01%
- % Y-t-D: 11.56%
Market Cap (N): N 25,957 trillion
- Volume: 172.8 million
- Value: N2.84billion
- Deals: 3,073
Top ASI gainers
- UPDCREIT up +9.09% to close at N3.00
- MCNICHOLS up +8.93% to close at N0.61
- JAPAULGOLD up + 7.41% to close at N0.29
- NB up +7.14 % to close at N45.00
- ROYALEX up +4.76% to close at N0.66
Top ASI losers
- HONYFLOUR down – 7.89 % to close at N2.10
- RTBRISCOE down – 7.41% to close at N0.25
- WEMABANK down – 5.45 % to close at N3.12
- FCMB down – 4.18% to close at N3.21
- CUTIX down – 2.84% to close at N2.05
Top 3 by Volume
- FCMB– 49,801,524
- COURTVILLE – 16,864,550
- ACCESSCORP – 11,962,498
Top 3 by Value
- MTNN- N891,982,061
- AIRTELAFRI– N660,547,865.
- ZENITHBANK- N221,417,191