Application Deadline: September 15, 2022.
Becoming a WPI Fellow is a competitive process. Each year hundreds of talented journalists apply for 10 fellowship slots. A selection committee of seasoned journalists and corporate communications specialists, all with international experience, chooses among the best of the best.
- At least five years of full-time employment in print, broadcast or online journalism, including:
- News or editorial departments of newspapers, wire services, radio, television, websites or online publications.
- Photojournalists, editorial cartoonists, columnists and broadcast producers.
- Those who supervise journalists are eligible if they also have at least five years as a working journalist.
- Any journalism-related work completed as a university student does not count toward experience. Those who work in public relations or at organizations whose primary business is not the media are not eligible.
- Must be currently employed as a non-U.S. journalist working outside of the United States.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Potential for leadership.
WPI Fellows are required to adhere to the following terms. Violations of these terms could result in termination from the program.
- Prepare for and participate in all briefings and WPI scheduled events.
- Stay through the entirety of program and return to home countries when the program ends.
- Write for the WPI website among other outlets as assigned. Fellows are also encouraged to share with their readers, listeners or viewers back home.
- Participate in periodic reviews and evaluations, including several roundtable discussions to share insights into the U.S. or international journalism issues.
- Acceptance for others of different cultures.
- Willingness to travel – the program locations change frequently, and fellows often live out of suitcases.
- Applicants are required to submit the names and email addresses of three professional references.
- References will be contacted by WPI to submit online letters of recommendation.
- References should be familiar with the applicant’s work and able to comment in English on their journalistic abilities, potential for growth and leadership abilities.
- One reference should be a direct supervisor.
- Letters must be in English and address the applicant’s experience, qualifications and potential.
Applications for the March 2023 program are now being accepted. The deadline for completed applications is September 15, 2022. The 2023 WPI fellows wil be announced in early December 2022.
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage of the World Press Institute Fellowship Program 2023