Nigerian stocks staged a comeback in the final trading session of the day, recovering the loss from the previous session as the benchmark index closed 1.07% stronger to settle at 48,881.93 points, the highest level since October 5. The industrial powerhouses BUACEMENT (+9.17%) and ZENITHBANK (+0.23%) continued to post strong increases, helping the overall index move into positive territory. The ASI closed 1.51% up week/week after rising in four out of five trading days this week, marking its fourth straight weekly increase.
Strong performances by BUACEMENT (+19.09% w/w), NESTLE (+1.67% w/w), and UBA (+1.37% w/w) during the week were enough to make up for losses suffered by MTNN (-2.27% w/w), ZENITHBANK (-2.86% w/w), and GTCO (-1.87%). The year-to-date (YTD) return increased to 14.43% as a result, and the market capitalization increased.
A review of today’s market activity revealed that trade turnover was lower than it had been during the previous session, with a 61.63% decrease in transaction value. In a total of 2,440 transactions, 100.82 million shares worth £1.14 billion were exchanged. With 34.19 million units exchanged, STERLNBANK (+1.46%) topped the volume table, while MTNN (+0.00%) topped the value list with deals totaling 403.78 million.
At a ratio of 1.63 to 1, the market breadth closed in the positive, with more rising issues than declining ones. On the leader’s table, BUACEMENT (+9.17%) outperformed twelve (12) other competitors, while UNITYBNK (-9.26%) outperformed seven (7) other competitors.
- NGX ASI: 48,881.93 points
- Previous ASI: 48,365.14 points
- Percentage Day Change: 1.06%
Market Cap (N): N 26,624trillion
- Volume: 100.8 million
- Value: N1.14 billion
- Deals: 2,440
Top ASI gainers
- PRESTIGE up +9.52% to close at N0.46
- BUACEMENT up +9.17% to close at N91.70
- THOMASWY up + 9.09% to close at N0.48
- WAPIC up +8.82% to close at N0.37
- PHARMDEKO up +8.11% to close at N2.00
Top ASI losers
- UNITYBNK down – 9.26% to close at N0.49
- SCOA down – 9.20% to close at N0.79
- JAPAULGOLD down – 6.90% to close at N0.27
- LIVESTOCK down – 4.31% to close at N1.11
- CHAMS down – 4.17% to close at N0.23
Top 3 by Volume
- STERLNBANK – 34,188,273
- GTCO – 7,273,320
- JAPAULGOLD– 34,188,273
Top 3 by Value
- MTNN- N403,781,044
- GTCO– N153,898,330
- BUACEMENT – N124,796,505